Friday, March 5, 2010

Architecture

I would probably say that the architecture of a museum has influenced my experience with that museum, but not so much that it could make or break the experience. Of course I couldn't experience the museum exhibits without influence from the architecture of the museum, no matter what it is going to influence the experience. Like if it is a very small museum with really big or cluttered exhibits because they don't have enough space, which is going to affect my experience and opinion of that museum. Whether or not the cluttered and cramp is intentional is also going to influence my experience. I'm from Snohomish, and they have a little museum supposedly showing the history of the town, as it was the first in the county. But the building is this tiny, square building with a huge desk in one corner with a 'help' person, who really had no idea about anything when I talked to her as part of my research for a paper on a certain event in Snohomish's history, and a bunch of awkwardly placed cases around the small area. It gives off a cramped and disorganized feeling, and that it is purely unintentional that it turned out so unappealing. So in that case, I'd say that the architecture had a pretty big impact on my experience there. But as for the outside, the decorative architecture like the EMP, with its crazy weird structure, it didn't really have that much influence on the experience, for me. Sure it looked kinda crazy cool, but inside it was well organized and not confusing; it didn't really have an impact for me once I was inside. So I suppose it depends on the architecture, and the intention, as for whether or not a museum's architecture 'determines' my experience with that museum.

1 comment:

  1. I agree and disagree with architecture not having a big impact on a person experience in a museum. Yes a small or much cluttered museum does not give people a good experience. Yet I have been to a small museum in Nanaimo, Canada even though it was small and had a lot of pieces in the space I still felt it was a good museum. While other museums, as you stated, do have very eccentric architecture of the outside part of the building while on the inside the whole museum is well organized and presented in a clear manner. But it’s about the content of the museum more than the exterior architecture that has the bigger impact on a visitor.

    ReplyDelete